Minutes - February 2012
General Meeting Minutes February 7,2012
A. Call to Order 8:45am
Attendees Alyson Whitaker, Kindra Mendall, Jannet Benz, Annalise Olsen, Don Ball, Molly Barnes, Janet Birt, Natalie Campbell, Lisa Ball, Jessica Fox, Alisa and Abram Dreyfus, Deanna Murchison, Michelle Flanagin
B. Approval of Minutes Motioned Deanna, second Kindra, APPROVED
C. Introductions no introductions needed
1. President: The current bylaws state that the board positions end after a maximum of 2 years. Elections will be held in May and we need volunteers.
2. Vice President: We received a thank you card from the Spanish teacher for the books.
3. Superintendent: Spelling Bee was an AMAZING success. Big thank you to Auora and Jenny. Natalie, Mary, Guin and Diane Tiessen did a wonderful job as well. Star test is embedded in curriculum of every class at Sunol Glen. New testing options are being considered for 2015. California is looking at the Oregon model which is more cognitive and gives immediate scores. The German students were here yesterday 2/6. Our students were able to learn from the German students about their culture. Thank you to Judy Bettencourt for setting this up. Bring a Friend to Sunol is tonight. We are actively trying to get the word out. We need 30-34 kinders and 8-10 more 1st graders to retain current teachers.
4. Secretary- no report
5. Treasurer- Current balance $58k and we have $56,480 allocated. (We actually about $5k in the hole after you factor in $7k for next years teacher fund) We are currently spending $120 in fees for credit card processing. Don has been looking at other companies but most very vague on their fees for nonprofit. Motion to approve an additional $50.01 for overage in Spelling Bee. Don moved, Kindra 2nd. Motion approved by CC members. There are three teachers who haven't touched their money. Should there be an expiration date on the funds? If certain teachers never spend their money, this means the money is not be spread over ALL students. We may need to get an intent form from teachers if they are saving their money for something more expensive. Some teachers may not want to spend if they don't have a need. It was brought up that maybe we have a grant based on need if teachers don't use the money by February. We need to be sure to tell teachers that if they don't take the money one year, it does not preclude them from money the following year. We need to get more money into Escript account. Intramural coaching at lunch will start with Mr. Wheeler 3 days a week at lunch.
6. Volunteer Coordinator- Absent
E. Old Business
1. Book Fair- It will be May 24th. Natalie Campbell will need volunteers to help her.
2. Spring Fundraiser- Kindra stated the goal of the night is to be fun and strengthen the goal of the community. They are currently getting quotes from casino companies. On-line auction will be used this year. They are currently trying to get sponsors for the event. It was motioned to increase budget from $3,500 to $5,500. Don motioned, Annalise 2nd. CC members PASSED.
3. Technology Committee Meeting- Their next meeting is February 14th.
4. Garden- Jessica will be putting fliers in folders to inform parents of what students are doing in the garden. Don and Lisa suggested the Sunolian and the bulletin board as well to display pictures of garden and advertise. We received a $2,000 grant from Lowes for the shed. THANK YOU KINDRA! Pre-school, K/1, 2/3 going out to garden regularly. They are learning about soil planting, germination, nitrogen fixation, etc. Mrs. Lauer and Mrs. Mangiardi have been a fabulous support system in helping correlate to curriculum. We should have new crops in 2-3 weeks. The 4th-8th grades need parents to step up in order to have it in those grades. Mr. Hoxie fixed broken pipes from the freeze. THANK YOU! We know need to cover the pipes.
F. New Business
1. Green Team- They will be doing the zero waste lunch box challenge again this year. They are looking for a container for small snack to give out to students. There maybe rotations such as garden, water, etc. They are looking for 15oz cans for an art project.
2. Teacher Appreciation Week- We are hoping for the week after STAR testing.
3. Class Supply Fundraiser- We are looking for a group to take this on. The Brownies will do this if no one else wants to take it on.
4. Speak to Debate Program- This program is coming to Sunol. It is designed to teach students to be effective public speakers as well as debate team members. Monday, the 23rd, will be the first meeting from 3-4pm. www.speakdebate.com
Adjournment: 10:10am Kindra motioned, Annalise 2nd!
Next meeting will be March 6th, 2012.