Minutes - June 2011
General Meeting Minutes June 8, 2011
A. Call to Order 6:35pm
Attendees Alyson Whitaker, Kindra Mendall, Doug Koth, Melody Mayer, Jannet Benz, Lisa Ball, Annalise Olsen, Don Ball, Molly Barnes, Michelle Flanagin, Jessica Fox, Deanna Murchison
B. Approval of Minutes motioned Melody, second Kindra, PASSED
C. Introductions Lisa quickly moves into audience!!
1. President: Alyson stated the volunteer statistics after this year’s 2 hour pledge campaign. Out of the 139 who made the pledge, 103 actually volunteeredJ Survey to all Sunol Glen families will be going out tomorrow. The survey will include Sunol Glen school questions as well as Community Club. Thank you to Eric Replogle for stepping up to oversee the Stanford program!
2. Superintendent: Spring Fling was fabulous! Huge thank you to Kindra and all the volunteers who made it happen. Hero’s Day was the biggest and best it has ever been. Most community members attended to date. Veterans were a great addition. Thank you to all the volunteers! Staff Appreciation was amazing! The staff room is beautiful, yoga and meditation, and all activities were very much appreciated!
3. Vice President: 3 thank you cards for Teacher Appreciation Week (Staff card, Mrs. Barnes, and Miss Amaro)
4. Secretary- Lisa wrote thank you cards on notecards Natalie Campbell made from student artwork.
5. Treasurer- Paid Science Camp. We had a surprise from the state who is requiring us to register the last 6 years ($25 each year) Thanks to Deanna fieldtrip fund is in great shape! THANK YOU DON for doing the taxes!!! CC gross income this year was over $95,000J 2009 was $50k, 2008 was $52k, 2007 was $57k, 2006 was $47k, 2005 was $37k, 2004 was $26k, 2003 was $28. This year was fabulous!!
6. Volunteer Coordinator- Not present, but Lorrie is ready to start.
E. Old Business
1. Spring Fling- Kindra reported making $17,389 total. She would like CC to consider making this money last 2years due to the fact that we may need next year’s Spring Fling for Art, Music. Fabulous job to Kendra and all her volunteers!
2. Technology Committee Meeting- Their next meeting will be in the Fall. Plan is to have the computer lab up and running by Aug 31st. Jannet announced that NASA donation came throughJ 25 PCs, 15 laptops, 3 printers, flat screen monitors, speakers, and brand new keyboards! Jonathon made a spreadsheet of all computers on campus. June 23rd, the county will start work on the lab. 6 county employees are coming and they are donating some of their hours. Mrs. Barnes thanked Jannet and the technology committee for all their hard work. Kindra brought up that with the new computer, we made need to allocate $2,000 more to computer lab. New computers are wiped clean and need licenses, etc. The committee has $2,700 of $5,000 left. MOTION was made by Kindra to allocate $2,000 more in case money is needed over the summer. Doug second, PASSED!
3. Book Fair Wrap up- no report, Don just got money today
4. School Garden- Jessica stated that installation of automatic watering system will be done by end of summer. She applied for a $2,000 grant from Whole Foods. Garden should be ready to implement teaching in garden once a month for all classes. (Hoping for volunteers to teach. Maybe 6-11 parents. Start with 6 times a year?) Jessica is writing a K-8 curriculum for EPA (her job) and can pilot the program at our school. This would pay Jessica for part of her teaching time. Mrs. Barnes suggested instruction happens in the classroom and then implementation in the garden with classes. Don suggested we have an afterschool program that incorporates cooking and gardening. This could bring in extra money for the garden. (minus teacher stipend) Another suggestion was asking for donations specifically for the garden in Sept. Jannet suggested that Green Team could also help out with garden in the fall.
5. Financial Report- We are currently at $23,929. $3,000 is already allocated towards the fall fundraiser so total is closer to $27k. Don suggested we consider all funds passing through CC going into separate account. (Box Tops, etc.) Ben Rego got donations for Hero’s Day so there will not be a bill for CC.
6. 2011/2012 Teacher Discretionary Fund- Don motioned that $5,000 be allocated for the 10 returning teachers. $250 for Janet Bourejy . $1,000 for new k/1 teacher, $1,000 reserve for unexpected incoming teacher, (no more than $1,000 per new teacher). Kindra seconds, PASSED.
7. Fall Fundraiser/Membership Drive/Dues- Alyson said we still need a chairperson for the Walkathon in the fall. She said she would consider doing it if no one else steps up. Alyson read an article regarding the effects of Memberships dues and PTO organizations. Article said dues may discourage parent’s involvement in CC. Some may feel excluded if they don’t pay. Some may think they don’t have to volunteer if they pay the dues. Membership dues on top of Walkathon are a lot of money to ask for. Alyson put on the table that maybe we don’t charge membership dues this year and have walkathon or pledge drive instead. Walkathon would be at end of school day again but with more carnival games. Package would go out first week in Sept and event would be last Friday in Sept. We could kick it off with rally.
8. Fall Back to School CC Social- Alyson is willing to host it at her house again the 2nd Friday of school being back in.
9. Meeting Time/Day- Motion to move meeting to mornings Sept to Dec. 1st Tuesday of the month at 8:30am. Motioned by Kindra, seconded by Lisa Ball, PASSED. Deana requested a timed agenda to help out working parents.
10. CC Newsletter- Deanna suggested that the CC have their own newsletter for parents. It would be great to have a click and see format. Garden section, etc. Looking at this for short term until CC has a website.
Adjournment: Kindra motioned, Alyson 2nd!