Minutes - March 2012
General Meeting Minutes March 6, 2012
A. Call to Order 8:45am
Attendees Alyson Whitaker, Kindra Mendall, Jannet Benz, Annalise Olsen, Don Ball, Molly Barnes, Jannet Benz, Natalie Campbell, Lorrie Ballard, Lisa Ball, Claudia Zuanich, Cammie Clark, Jeanine DeBacker
B. Approval of Minutes Motioned Kindra, second Don, APPROVED
C. Introductions Brief introductions
1. President: We are still seeking volunteers to run for next year’s elected Community Club positions. Elections will be held in May at general meeting. If anyone knows anyone who would like to be on the board, please let us know.
2. Vice President: We received a thank you card from the staff as well as Mrs. Barnes for the lunch that Deanna arranged. Deanna is going to take money for hospitality and spread it out through the year. We will still do beginning of year lunch. The change will be lunches about once a month instead of end of the year lunch.
3. Superintendent- We are still in need of students in the K/1 classes for next year. We currently have paperwork for 43 k/1 students for next year. We need at least 60 students to retain all three K/1 teachers. It was suggested to follow up with parents who came to the Sunol night. It was also suggested that the school advertise in Bay Area Parent and other local newspapers and magazines. Please let all your friends know that we have openings. STAR writing test is today, 3/6. The other STAR tests are May 7th-11th. At-risk conferences are this week on Thursday and Friday. The 2/3 wax museum is this Thursday night at 6pm. They would love families to come out and support the students. This week for literacy month the school is doing pages for popcorn. The school board really values fieldtrips and is looking into bus issue. The state cut funding 50% this year and is expected to cut the other 50% by next year.
4. Secretary- no report
5. Treasurer- Current balance $56k. We put down a $500 deposit on Spring fundraiser venue. A separate account for Art and Music was closed. We received a check from Escript for $300, which is a big increase from normal amount.
6. Volunteer Coordinator- A volunteer is needed to oversee the Spring Fling event as Kindra needs to step down. A Jooners was sent out for a garden work day this Saturday, 3/10.
E. Old Business
1. Bylaws- Bylaws need to be updated and rewritten. Jeanine, Alyson, Lisa and any others that want to help will meet in library on Tuesday, March 20 at 8:30am. Alyson will send out bylaws so you can read and take notes on them before the meeting. Bylaws are also available on line.
2. Spring Fundraiser- Lisa stated that there will be an on line auction this year. This site will allow for tickets to be purchased as well. Jeanine informed us that any form of raffles on line is illegal. The on line auction will allow for items not at the event. There will be a pick up time after event to receive your purchases. (Some can be mailed) Families will be able to send link to friends and family members to bid on. There will be a hand full of things available at the event. The event is May 11th at 7pm at the Sunol Valley Golf Club. Babysitting will be available at the school and Suzette Takei will be organizing this. There will be Elvis, gambling tables, golden raffle ticket, heavy appetizers. Volunteers are still needed to design program, organize golden raffle, and help with decorating. The event needs people to donate their timeshares, season tickets, hotels, etc.
3. Technology Committee Meeting- They will be targeting to implement in the summer of 2013. The committee has been looking at individual computers verses servers. They will hold current money and save for implementation. If the school goes with servers, the upfront cost would be $20k-$25k. The servers would include up to date software and last approximately 5 years. Then it would be about $5k every 5 years for new server. It looks like state may cut another $370 per ADA which means Art and Music may be endanger. This means that more than allocated amount may have to go to Art and Music, which would impact technology money. Fundraisers should be worded so that money is for Art, Music, and Technology so we have some flexibility on spending.
4. SRT Refreshments- We will need to provide refreshments on 3/23. There will be a Jooners going out with sign ups. Then the CC will take donations. Don and Lisa will do the lemonade and coffee for this. Thank you!
5. Garden Update- There will be work day in the garden this Saturday from 9:30-12:30. Snacks will be provided. Please bring your own tools and water bottles.
F. New Business
1. Teacher Appreciation Week- This will be May 14th-18th. Virbin will be heading this week. She is looking at massages, yoga again.
2. Trashion Show- This is the 3rd year. When it started 16 students participated in the event. Last year they had 46 students participate. Volunteers will be needed to help in the many aspects of this event. Volunteer duties needed include the show, coordinating/ planning and the workshops for the students. Workshops will hopefully start in the upcoming weeks. The workshops will be weekly for one hour after school. This week will coincide with Earth Week at the school. All students can participate whether they want to be on stage or not. There are many opportunities to work behind the scenes as well as getting a stand in model for your creation. Thank you so much Cammie Clark!
3. Green Team- Earth Week is tentatively April 23rd-April 27th. Jannet Benz is making a template so when she graduates out of Sunol Glen the program can exist with another volunteer coordinating it. During earth week, each teacher will a different, age appropriate video to show their class. Each teacher will also be given a related activity for students. There will be the zero waste lunch challenge. This year’s prize is a picnic lunch with Mrs. Barnes. There will be rotations after the trashion show. There will be a water shed model, donations of plants and a rotation in garden for upper grades, maybe compost, and a garbologist station. Jannet will need parent volunteers to help on the Friday with the stations.
4. Teacher Discretionary Fund expanded to include library- Don motioned that $300 be added to teacher discretionary fund for library. Kindra 2nd. APPROVED!
Adjournment: 9:54am Alyson motioned, Kindra 2nd!
Next meeting will be April 3rd, 2012.