Minutes - October 2011
Sunol Glen Community Club
General Meeting Minutes October 4, 2011
A. Call to Order 8:43am
Attendees Alyson Whitaker, Kindra Mendall, Jannet Benz, Annalise Olsen, Don Ball, Molly Barnes, Michelle Flanagin, Deanna Murchison, Janet Birt, Gin Wesener, Monica Hanson, Natalie Campbell, Annabelle Colestock, Sharon Rogers, Auora Ahsan, Suzanna Naone, Lorrie Ballard
B. Approval of Minutes Motioned Kindra, second Deanna, PASSED
C. Introductions Fabulous to see new parents in attendanceJ
1. President: HTML newsletter is being well received by parents. It has really improved the communication between CC and parents.
2. Vice President: no report
3. Superintendent: Huge thank you to Community Club for the Walk a Thon! Alyson, Kindra, Lorrie, Deanna and all the volunteers did a fabulous job. Mrs. Barnes said she loves the Friday Walk a Thon because 100% of student body can participate. Book Fair was amazing, too. Red ribbon week is coming soon to educate students on harmful effects of drugs and alcohol. Halloween parade is October 31st at 11:45am. Parents and families are encouraged to come out and cheer on students in the parade. Band will perform at the park in middle of the parade. Thank you to Sunol Business Guild for supporting this event. There will be a meeting to discuss building a track at Sunol Glen. Thank you to the Benz family for their time and energy on this. Hopefully budget committee can think of making a donation towards the cost of the sprinkler system. We are hoping that the Sunol community will help with equipment needed as well as the time to build the track. Nov. 14th-18th will be parent/teacher conferences.
4. Secretary- no report
5. Treasurer- Total current balance: $58,448.67. Teacher Discretionary fund is starting to be used by teachers. We need to remind parents to utilize the corporate matching funds if available when they donate to school. This allows us to get double in some cases triple the donation. We need to remind parents to sign up for Escrip. Parents need to renew their Safeway and Raley’s escrip accounts for this school year. You must renew every year. Don is wondering if a 7th or 8th grader could sit with parents in computer lab to sign them up.
6. Volunteer Coordinator- CC is asking parents for a 2hour pledge again. Parents need to be aware of Jooners e-mails coming out and prevent them from going into Spam filter. There will be a meeting for all room parents in the next week or two.
E. Old Business
1. Walk A Thon- They raised just over $26,000 so far. It should net approximately $24,000. 106 families participated out of roughly 160 families. There will be a survey coming out for all staff as well as families to get input on the Walk a Thon. This survey will also have a section where parents and staff can voice where they think the spending priorities should be. Thank you to Alyson, Kindra, Lorrie and Deanna for all their hard work.
2. Spring Fundraiser- Kindra is looking for a group of volunteers to help brainstorm ideas for the Spring fundraiser.
3. Technology Committee Meeting- They met last month. The biggest problem is the increase in band width has not happened yet. It should happen by November 3rd. The focus of future meetings will be trying to maintain the technology at the school current. They are looking at different districts to see how they maintain their technology. It seems like money will need to go towards technology every year.
4. Book Fair Wrap up- They made over $3,000 from the Book Fair. This translates into approximately $2,200 in Scholastic book credit for the teachers. Teachers spent book credit to buy class sets and books were purchased for the library from past credits. Thank you to Steph Serpa.
5. School Garden- They still need parent volunteers for the garden once a month. Jessica Fox is currently training parents who have signed up for classroom. Each class has their own planter box with irrigation installed. K-3 will use the garden for Science once a week. Jessica Fox is looking for a parent to co-chair the garden with her. She is just looking for help, not someone to take it over.
6. Budget Committee- There will be a budget committee meeting in 2 weeks. Sign up with Don Ball or Lorrie Ballard.
7. Green Team- Recycling bins are up all around the school now. Now we need to educate and get all students involved and educated on how to recycle. We are now eligible for free services from stopthewaste.org. This organization will provide a free assembly on the 4 Rs (Reuse, recycle, reduce, rot) They also offer a fieldtrip for 4th graders as well as a class for 5th grades to be “garbologists” and pick through garbage. There are composting bins for the garden that are for fruit, veggies and napkins in the cafeteria. The green team is working on posters to educate students on which bins are for which items. They are hoping each class will take on at least one Big Green Idea.
8. Ladies Night Out- Lisa Ball, Laura Oka, and Kelly Johnson are meeting to discuss this event next week. They are looking for helpers.
Adjournment : 9:35am Kindra motioned, Don 2nd!