Minutes - September 2011
General Meeting Minutes September 6, 2011
A. Call to Order 8:45 am
Attendees Alyson Whitaker, Kindra Mendall, Lorrie Ballard, Don Ball, Jannet Benz, Molly Barnes, Suzanne Naone, Batul Sadiq, Kim Davis, Gin Wesener, Auora Ahsan, Claudia Zuanich, Jeanine DeBacker, Janet Birt, Lindsey Schmidt, Shana Hafelfinger, Natalie Campbell, Michelle Flanagin, Kristi Clubb, Monica Hanson, Lisa Ball
B. Approval of Minutes motioned Lorrie, second Kindra, PASSED
1. President: Alyson stated that CC welcomes all, and wants all to feel included. New ideas, input, talents, and skills are welcome. Goal for the year is to improve communication between CC and parents this year. A CC specific newsletter will be sent via email monthly to all families.
2. Superintendent: Motto for year is “Toward Excellence We Shall Delve—Eagles Rock in 2012!” Rules School was successful in outlining rules for entire school grounds and all students. Back to School Night was a success, high attendance in all classes. School API increased 30 points this year to 939! J CA State Treasurer Bill Lockyer (also a parent at Sunol Glen) nominated school for a $5,000 Grant, which we were awarded. This money will go to intervention services for the school.
3. Vice President: Kindra will maintain bulletin board for the year with news, upcoming events, and volunteer recognition. Community Club website is up and operational, can be accessed from Sunol Glen home page.
4. Secretary- no report
5. Treasurer- Don shared updated accounting of spending for the 2010/2011 budget year. Teacher Discretionary Funding was given to all teachers, $500/ea for all returning teachers, $875/ea for new teachers. All items purchased with these funds need to stay in the classroom. Final payment of $33,000 was paid to school over summer from the $70,000 collected in 2010 to support art and music. Green Team was awarded a grant for $2800—CC acted as “bank” to deposit the money, then write checks for the composting & recycling bins purchased with the money. Escrip program supports field trip account. It is “free money”, a percentage of purchases at participating stores is donated to school. Also participate in S.H.A.R.E.S., Quality of Life, and Target RedCard Programs. Links to sign up are found on CC website. We are well ahead of forecast for year end in October. Budget Committee is forming to meet in October to establish budget for 2011/2012 year.
6. Volunteer Coordinator- Lorrie passed sign up sheet for chairs for annual events, including Book Fair, Ladies Night Out, Spring Fundraiser, etc. Jooners is mode used for soliciting volunteer sign-ups for events and activities.
E. Old Business
1. Teacher Discretionary Fund modification- Don motioned to move $500 for Art and $500 for Music from the Art/Music fund into Teacher Discretionary Fund. Kindra seconds, motion passed.
2. Technology Committee - Bandwidth issue still not resolved. AT&T is working on it. $2,000 set aside over summer to be used “as-needed” was not used. Tech committee meeting on Sept 20 @ 9am will decide if money is still needed and proceed accordingly. The network is still undergoing upgrades and modifications.Possible purchase of doc camera for media lab/library use.
F. New Business
1. Secure CC Mailbox for office- Don made motion to spend up to $80 from unallocated reserve fund to purchase locking mailbox for CC use in office. Alyson seconds. Motion passed.
2. Fall Book Fair- Steph Serpa is chairing event, Sept 26-30. Hoping to find a co-chair to take over in the spring. Fair will be open at lunch and after school during that week. Book fair is not a fundraiser, but school does earn book credits with Scholastic for books purchased at the fair. Jooners sign up will be sent out for volunteers.
3. Fall Fundraiser/Walkathon- Alyson gave update on Walkathon, to be held Friday, Sept 30 from 12:30-3:30. Rolling membership drive into Walkathon, 1st $25 per family will count as dues for CC. Goal is to raise $300/child over the course of the year, and goal for Walkathon is $150/student. Installment payment plan is available. Other fundraisers are held by Student Council and some grade-level classes. CC only holds two fundraisers – Fall & Spring. Walkathon will incorporate walking, carnival booths, spirit rally, and visit by Cal Fire.
4. School Garden – Garden renovations are complete, ready for classes to begin to use space. Each class must have a garden parent volunteer to take ownership of monthly garden time. Approx. 2 hour commitment/month. Curriculum will be provided, similar to FAME model.
5. Green Team- Jannet Benz reported that Green Team will be open to students in grades 5–8 this year. Recycle Fridays are last Friday of every month. Needs volunteers to take recyclables to redemption center. Challenge students to continue to use 100% reusable lunch box. Classes will be challenged to come up with a “Green Idea” to help school go green, 1 class per month.
6. School Track- A grant is available which would provide recycled tire surface on a track in the school field. A 2-year time frame to implement. Grant application is due end of September. Jannet Benz will present preliminary plan to School Board on Sept 13, must have board approval before proceeding. Approximate costs for grading, irrigation, drainage, laying of subsurface, etc. are $35,000, plus ongoing maintenance costs. Depending on board response, parent volunteer will be needed to assist in the grant application.
Adjournment : 9:55 Don motioned, Alyson 2nd!